Sunday 3 February 2013

My Heros in The Chemo Ward

When I was going through chemotherapy, I couldn't function very well and it was really high stress for Sara as she was taking care of me too. However, we thankfully had a steadfast group of people to make sure we got through each day okay.

The nursing staff.

I can't thank the nursing staff at the BCCA enough for what they did for us. They not only delivered the medicine and took care of all my many many problems but they were kind to me. They also treated Sara like gold. They were some of our heros during such an awful time.

When you are that sick it is easy to be treated or view yourself as a bit of an outcast. The nursing staff never appeared to do that. They treated you like what you were. A normal person who had an unfortunate situation happen in their lives. They took care of us in any way they could.

And that doesn't even include all the things they do behind the scene that I really have never seen. The paper work, keeping all my medicine in order. Keeping me safe and helping me heal.

They got to know me, they stayed long enough to chat, I knew they cared about what they were doing, which is all I could ask for. When I was in the chemo ward, hanging out at the nursing station was one of the few things I enjoyed.

The last thing I want to mention that impressed me with my nursing staff, was that I was only one person in that ward. There were probably hundreds of people going through there each week. And the fact remains that they treated everyone like this, every family that came through the doors they took excellent care of. You really couldn't ask for anything more.

I loved my nursing staff, they were my heros.

No comments:

Post a Comment