Wednesday 5 December 2012

My "Cancerversary"

Today was my one year checkup after a year of treatment of Ewings Sarcoma.

I am one year free of cancer, and a solid year in remission. This is probably the biggest thing I have accomplished in my life.

It has been a wild two years. From diagnosis to treatment to everything in between and after. All the side effects and all the emotion was crazy. I still find it really hard to think about but needless to say this was a milestone day for me.

For the first time in a long time I fell "better". It was great to see the look on my doctors faces, telling me my tests look excellent and that we can start spreading out check ups further apart (from 3 months to 4). Not a huge step and I am sure I will still worry about aches and pains and freak out from time to time (hopefully less frequently!) but a step forward none the less.

The other day I saw this comic strip on XKCD and I was amazed at how accurate it was describing what I went through, its called "Two years".
I am still alive, and still doing science (chemistry is my job after all!) But I really liked this, I actually cried a bit when I first saw it. it hit so close to home.

I am keeping it short today, my family is visiting, it is a big day for all of us. I have never been prouder to be a survivor then I am today.

1 comment:

  1. I know - the xkcd comic got it perfectly right, which makes sense since they've been through it.

    Congratulations on your anniversary.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete