Sunday 16 December 2012

Remission, a Perfect Word

I find the word "remission" an interesting and probably perfect choice for someone who has gone through cancer treatment.

From what I have seen, the doctors at my hospital, don't use the word "cure" very often. Even though the cancer I had, Ewings sarcoma, was "curable", and I believe I have been cured, no one really knows for sure. It is just the nature of the beast. Some treatments work well, some not so well for all types of cancers, but sometimes treatment just doesn't work, and sometimes it works better than expected.

After going through chemo, radiation and surgery, even though the cancer is no longer visible, and no longer there, I don't know if I will ever be "cured" of the side effects. I think this is why remission is such a perfect, or appropriate word. I still think about getting sick, still have lingering side effects, and although my cancer is gone, it is still a part of my mentality.

I think this is the case for many cancer survivors and caregivers as well. It may be gone, as far as you can tell, but you never really know. I wish we could all be cured but for now I will take remission, it is certainly not a "bad" word, and to me, I think it perfectly describes the "almost back to normal, but never quite normal" way I feel. I am in remission, and although not perfect, it is perfect for me these days.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the term NED - no evidence of disease. Not only does it sound like a friendly guy to hang out with, but I like the 'no' and the 'disease' parts. Although for me, cure also has a nice ring . . . regardless of the constant uncertainties, the only way I can really lead my life with less fear is to assume I am cured - regardless of the statistics. ~Catherine

    ReplyDelete