Sunday 7 April 2013

Some Thoughts from when I Train for the Ride to Conquer Cancer

I have to do a lot of training for my biking/fundraising for the "Ride to Conquer Cancer". Some days I get to go by myself and some days I ride in groups which can lead to a variety of things on ones mind.

Today I did a lot of riding by myself. I find it peaceful and it gives me some time to reflect on not only why I do the ride, but different things in my life. It is one of the few times I am really in a peaceful place to think and be comfortable with my thoughts.

A lot of times, it can be simple things, my face is wet, this hill is hard, or how much I enjoy going down hills. All things that crossed my mind while biking in the rain today. I also thought about how happy I was to be biking in the rain. When I was going through chemotherapy I would have given anything just to be able to go outside when I wanted. To not lie in a hospital bed and not be in so much pain and miserable would of been fantastic.

I also thought about how lucky I was. I had the benefit of being treated and making a recovery. That is one of my biggest motivators when biking. I was only going to do about 30 km today, but being motivated by this and thinking about how lucky I was pushed me another 20 km. All in all a good training ride for a rainy day.

I also thought a lot about my grandfather today. He passed away when I was very young from cancer, and to be honest, I don't have a lot of memories with him. The only thing I remember is cutting string beans with him when I was young in his back yard. I might have been three or four. This served as a big motivator for me too for my training today. I don't have many memories with him because cancer took him too soon. It is not really fair. It is not fair that he didn't get to see his grand kids grow up, or even meet some of them. It is not fair that he didn't get to see his kids grow up, see how well he had raised people like my dad, and to see the success that he has become.

Today, these thoughts, along with a lot of others really dominated my mind. But that is not a bad thing. It reminds me why I need to keep training, and keep raising money for cancer research so people have less of these voids in their lives by losing people too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment