Wednesday 17 April 2013

Trying to Rationalize the way I Feel

Lately, I have been rather demotivated and not in great spirits. And to be quite honest I am not sure why. I find since I have finished chemo this is a feeling that comes and goes about every two months. My "sad cycle" if you will.

I am not sure why these feelings come and go, but I know it is pretty hard to break out of it sometimes. I am really down, I don't really get too chatty with people (not that I am a huge talker anyway) and I get easily demotivated. The way I have found to get through these times, is basically push through. What I mean by that, is that I know they are coming. I know what this feels like, and I know at some point it will pass. It just really sucks, and when things don't go right, it all seems to get magnified.

I try to rationalize what is going on. I never went through things like this before cancer, so I assume it is stemming from that. I don't have a ton of things to be down about, I have a decent, albeit short term job, my fundraising is going well, and I am finally being able to contribute again to things I had promised to work hard for. I do have some things in my life that aren't perfect, but so do most people.

I often wonder if it stems from my lack of desire to voice some of my concerns, opinions, and probably most importantly my feelings. I tend to try and "not complain" about a lot of things since having cancer. "Things have been much worse" I always tell myself. And to be fair, that really is true. I am not going through chemo anymore. But when my "regular" life problems become important is always a question. When will it be okay to get upset at things like the weather, and being late, and having to go get groceries. I feel I should always be "happy" and living life to its fullest because I feel like I have been given a second chance, and when I don't it seems like I may be wasting it, this never helps my mood as you would imagine.

I think this may all lead to my "down times". I know I don't have a good way of dealing with this yet. I have tried counseling, and I have tried finding some people to talk to, but it hasn't worked so far. Until I find I better way, I will push through as best I can.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Eamonn, I stumbled upon your blog at Huffington Post. Like you, I'm a young adult cancer survivor (Hodgkin's Lymphoma), 2 years out of treatment but still dealing with many of the issues you've described so well. You're definitely not alone in how you're feeling.

    I recently stumbled upon this journal article on young adult cancer survivors re-entering everyday life. It's extremely insightful and puts a lot of my feelings into perspective. Perhaps you'll find it useful too?

    http://www.rkhr.no/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Meeting-Reality.pdf

    I'm a PhD student so one way I cope with challenges is to find out as much about them as possible. As a post-doc, perhaps you're wired similarly :)

    Anyway, I've bookmarked your blog and look forward to reading more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HELLO DEAR EAMONN, I FOUND YOUR BLOG THRU YOUR DEDICATION DAY ON MILES 2 GIVE. I AM AMAZED ON HOW MANY EWING'S SARCOMA PATIENTS/WARRIORS/ SURVIVORS THERE ARE AND I VISIT QUITE A FEW PAGES ON FACEBOOK, CAREPAGES AND CARINGBRIDGE.

    MY SON, LUCAS, IS NOW 20. 4-MONTH SCANS CLEAN AND CLEAR!!! HE WAS DIAGNOSED AT AGE 16, ON 1.6.10 WITH METASTASIZED EWING'S. READING THIS POST HIGHLIGHTED SOME OF THE FEELINGS/ATTITUDES HE IS GOING THROUGH. I AM SHARING THIS BLOG AND YOUR HUFFINGTON POST BLOG WITH HIM. HE NEEDS TO REACH OUT...THANK YOU

    ReplyDelete